Posted by Bert de Weerd and Tingmui Li, Google Play
When Google Play launched in 2008, it was straightforward for builders to get seen with only some hundred apps and video games reside on the Play Retailer. Quick ahead to at present, there at the moment are tens of millions of apps and video games obtainable to audiences in over 190 international locations. The distinctive belongings you present to the Retailer – photographs, video, descriptions, even your app identify itself – are important to customers making a choice on what to obtain.
Google Play is more and more displaying extra of your belongings entrance and heart, surfacing graphic belongings and descriptions proper on Apps and Video games residence. To make sure that your retailer itemizing belongings will help customers anticipate your in-app or in-game expertise and drive significant downloads, we’re:
- Pre-announcing a coverage change for app metadata
- Introducing new tips on Retailer itemizing preview belongings
1. Pre-announce coverage change for app metadata
Since your app title, icon, and developer identify are crucial discovery parts in your retailer itemizing web page, we’re making ready to launch a brand new set of insurance policies to maintain these parts recognizable and distinctive, specializing in:
- Limiting the size of app titles to 30 characters
- Prohibiting key phrases that suggest retailer efficiency, promotion within the icon, title and developer identify
- Eliminating graphic parts that will mislead customers within the app icon
App title, icon and developer identify that don’t meet the upcoming insurance policies is not going to be allowed on Google Play. You’ll be able to anticipate extra particulars about this coverage change, together with enforcement begin dates, later this yr.
We advocate reviewing the examples of do and don’t beneath and desirous about how these adjustments could influence you, so you may get prepared for the upcoming coverage adjustments.
Retailer efficiency or rank:
Value and promotional data:
Play packages and graphic parts that mislead customers:
Emoticons & repeated or sequential particular characters and or punctuations:
2. New tips for Retailer itemizing preview belongings
We’re additionally asserting new retailer itemizing preview asset tips for the function graphics, screenshots, movies, and brief descriptions you provide to showcase your app’s options and performance. Property that don’t meet our tips could also be ineligible for promotion and advice on main Google Play surfaces like Apps and Video games residence.
The brand new guideline for developer provided belongings give attention to the next ideas:
- Do the preview belongings precisely signify the app or sport?
- Do the preview belongings present sufficient data to assist customers resolve whether or not to put in?
- Are the preview belongings freed from buzzwords like “free” or “finest” and as an alternative give attention to offering significant details about the distinctive elements of your app or sport?
- Are the preview belongings localized accurately and straightforward to learn?
To make sure that your apps and video games are eligible for suggestions on all surfaces on Google Play, please overview our new store listing guidelines. We’ll begin utilizing these tips to tell our suggestions beginning within the second half of 2021.
We hope you discovered each the coverage pre-announcement and preview asset guideline announcement helpful as you propose your roadmap for the yr, and we hope you share in our pleasure for a extra helpful and interesting Play Retailer.